Just a Vision
The musings of a Wellingtonian Expat, living and working in Brisbane who likes Computers, the Internet, and his cat.

We were part of history.

Category: By AndrewT

It's crazy to think how common computers are in everyday life now, when you remember back to the early 80's when computers were only ever found in schools (if they had any sense) and homes that could afford them, which wasn't too many.

I still remember the day my dad told me my grandparents had decided to buy us a computer. I remember the excitment and joy, but most of all I remember the gratitude, as I learnt they weren't buying one for themselves also, it was just a gift to us, and by us I guess I mean me. Because as soon as that sucker was plugged in, from until we sold it (to the ginge), I think I had been responsible for 99% of its use.

But yeah, the Commodore 64 - what a gem. Back then it was coined a Micro Computer, and there were plenty of other Micro Computers out in the market around that time too. Due to school, or friends, by the time I had used my first IBM PC, I had used (played games on) an Apple II, an Amstrad CPC6128 (complete with 3" disks!), a few variations on the ZX Spectrum, a couple of BBC micros, a Commodore Vic20 and the amazing Commodore Amiga (which I thought was probably the best computer about until I got an IBM 386).

Some of my mates will know the sort of nostalgia I'm feeling when I talk about these boxes of delight, and some wont. It wasn't until the internet became cool and playstations came out in the mid nineties that most people even decided to get involved with personal computing technology, and I can see why.

Going through youtube, I found some uploads of an old BBC program that talked about Mircro Computers. And when you look at the applications and people using them, you realise, shit back then was ULTRA geeky. But not only that, but shit back then was cutting edge, and it's all stuff we see every day in PCs and applications.

Anyway, thought I would share these with you, they really are a good watch. All have something funny and/or interesting in them - and all speak about a NEW development in micro personal computers that we all take for granted these days;

Computer Generated Images - check this for the dude obviously gutted he doesnt have the latest technology, and for the Pixar animation, that was LEAGUES ahead of anything else.

First hack live on TV - haha, well it sounded like he had a 2 character password so his bad.

Flight Sim geeks - They made it hard for normal people to use it and they know it.

Sound Sequencing - Actually pretty advanced stuff, and the introduction of Midi!

Mutlitasking OS - how novel - go the amiga.

As a footnote, the image of the disk shown is of GEOS, which was my first experience with a windows system ever. All on one 5.25" disk (well there was another one that had some extenstion programs on it!).
 

3 comments so far.

  1. lol, hackers...
  2. David 8:28 PM
    Yes I remember how excited you were when you first got Windows 95 even though it ran as slow as anything on the computer you had. Still that Weaser video on it was pretty cool...
  3. Elkano 9:01 PM
    "Did anyone try the fish?"
    "Not so good Al!"

Something to say?