Just a Vision
The musings of a Wellingtonian Expat, living and working in Brisbane who likes Computers, the Internet, and his cat.

Nerd Nostalgia

Category: , , By AndrewT
The week before I moved over here, I was staying at my folks place, where I grew up. Checking out the office I saw this shelf of old games of mine, got me thinking a little nostalgically.

So many hours of my life are trapped in those boxes. Hard to say what I spent my most time on, most likely Ultima 7, cause that was a mission of a game. Not only to play to! To get the thing working on my computer was like a krypton challenge all in itself. Editing Himem.sys files and autoexec.bats - changing expanded memory to extended. WTF. It's hard to think we ever had to bugger around with all that. Hex, IRQ, and comports for Soundcards and Modems.
The only game I remember not being a hassle to run was Alley Cat.

I'm glad things were more difficult to set up though. Got me thinking a lot more about how things actually worked, forced education I guess, and into a line of work I'm still doing today. Games weren't the misspent youth my parents probably thought they were.

From left then down.:
Command and Conquer; Quake II; Landscape Design Program; Ultima 8: Speech expansion pack; Ultima 7 Part 2: Serpent Isle; Doom; David Wold: Secret Agent; Police Quest 3; Ultima 7 Part 1: The Black Gate; Some book; Warcraft II ;Star Wars: Dark Forces
 

0 comments so far.

Something to say?